Responding today to chapters 2 and 3. What did you all think? Please leave your thoughts/responses in the "Comments" of this post below. Then you can respond to one another's comments as well so that we can have a discussion about the posts! These were powerful chapters, what did you think?
Mirror Mirror LEAD schedule
Hello Everyone! Welcome to Developing The Leader Within You book study! Here is our book study schedule: April 18th - Meet in person (Chapter 1 and introduction) May 4th - post online (Chapter 2-3) May 18th - Meet in person (Chapters 4-5) June 1st - post online (Chapters 6-7) June 15th - At the church (Chapters 8-9) June 29th - Book study online (Chapter 10) For each chapter, please fill out the learning template (either online or bring it to our sessions in person). For the weeks that we participate online, please leave comments on one another's posts so that we can have conversation around the issues discussed in each chapter - this helps us to learn and internalize the material. I will post every week about the chapters we are studying and you can leave your posts as responses! Thanks so much for diving in to this adventure, we are going to have a blast! Book Title: __________________________________________ Date: _________________, 20 ____...
Baillie Janex
ReplyDeleteMay 5, 2017
Chapter 2 & 3
1) a. “It’s not how hard you work, it’s how smart you work.” I’m becoming more aware that I'm guilty of letting distractions get in my way of being productive, whether it be social media, TV, or simply just not wanting to do a task that needs to be done.
b. “Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are.”
c. “Integrity binds our person together and fosters a spirit of contentment within us. It will not allow our lips to violate out hearts. When integrity is the referee, we will be consistent; our beliefs will be mirrored by our conduct. There will be no discrepancy between what we appear to be and what our family knows we are, whether in times of prosperity or adversity. integrity allows us to predetermine what we will be regardless of circumstances, persons involved, or the places of our testing.” I love, love, love this! After reading this chapter, I now understand what integrity is and the incredible importance of it. Without integrity, we lack character.
2) a. “If you could live your life over again, what would you do differently?” This is a tough question to answer. What would I do differently? I need to think on this and develop an answer.
b. Focus less on my rights, but more on responsibility.
c. Use the Pareto worksheet for my daily tasks. I think this table will save so much time and keep me on track.
3) a. Work to be more consistent with who I am, instead of focusing on building a better image. I can be different depending who I’m with - with my family, I’m outgoing, funny, and chill. In groups, I tend to get more quiet and overall reserved until I’m completely comfortable.
b. Take some time to prioritize my tasks. What needs to be done today. What can I stop stressing about and leave until I have some free time.
c. Do a weekly check-in. Am I being consistent with prioritizing my tasks. What do I need to let go of in order to be more productive.
4) a. I really think the Pareto worksheet is a valuable tool that I could share with many people in my life, especially my business friends.
b. Share the “Am I True to Myself” poem. It’s a good reminder to be who you are and be confident in who you are.
c. Remind those that feel overwhelmed, that they don’t need to and can’t do it all (yes, I’m guilty of this too ;)). Speaking from experience, it just leads to stress, resentment, and exhaustion.
I really liked your comment about “It’s not how hard you work, it’s how smart you work.” I can relate to this too, but in a different way. Instead of putting tasks off, I find I can easily become preoccupied with running around getting stuff done (working hard), instead of enjoying my time allow the way and still getting everything finished (working smarter).
DeleteI also really liked the Pareto worksheet. I think it is a great tool to use when you have a lot of stuff to do and aren't sure what to do first or you don't want to forget anything on your list.
Oh man Baillie - this is gold! Thanks for all your thinking through ... I like what you say about the "Am I True to Myself" poem - this is a powerful one. I totally agree that sometimes we feel like we need to do it all and there is such a joy in sharing things. I like the Pareto worksheet too and I actually use it all the time! It helps lots! - - - I also like the image and integrity discussion, this is challenging.
DeleteThanks Jocelyn!
DeleteOh man! I have a terrible memory so the Pareto worksheet is going to come in so handy! :)
Jocelyn Ens
ReplyDeleteMay 5, 2017
Chapter 2
Mental Breakthroughs:
1. We teach what we know; we reproduce what we are. Like begets like.
- important to remember that what we fill our lives with ultimately flows out of us.
-reminds me of Luke 6:45 which talks about what is in our hearts coming out of our mouths
2. What do I do that no one but me can do?
- good reminder to focus on the things I am good at, the uniqueness I bring to the teams I am on
3. Efficiency is the foundation for survival. Effectiveness is the foundation of success.
- sometimes I easily become too focused on the efficiency of the tasks I complete; the tasks can be efficient and make me feel good, but if they aren't effective they ultimately aren't impacting anyone around me
24 Hour Actions:
1. Think about the actions or attitudes I reproduce. How do these affect others?
2. Write down what my roles are in the different organizations I am a part of. What are my strengths?
3. Brainstorm ways I can balance being efficient and effective.
7 Day Actions:
1. Observe how my actions influence others.
2. Practice spending most of my time and energy in the areas I am best at (20/80 split).
3. Practice focusing on effectiveness when completing tasks.
People I Can Tell:
1. Other leaders at Youth
2. Those I work with in the office to encourage them when they feel like they can't do it all.
I love how you said "We reproduce what we are" - this is a powerful leadership principle. We can only take people as far as we have gone ourselves. That's why doing this study is so great - so that we can be authentically growing as people and leaders as we get to lead others along beside us. Awesome!
DeleteI'd love to hear how it goes for you spending your time 20/80 split!
I initially also had "We teach what we know; we reproduce what we are. Like begets like." as a mental breakthrough as well (and the more times I read that statement, the more I love it). :) This reminds me of our last meeting when we were talking about influence and how easily we are influenced. Also, thank-you for your reference to Luke 6:45 - it's such a pertinent verse to us as leaders.
DeleteJocelyn Ens
ReplyDeleteMay 5, 2017
Chapter 3:
Mental Breakthroughs:
1. What people hear they understand, what they see they believe.
- important to realize that what I model to others outweighs what I tell them
2. Leaders must live by higher standards than their followers, their character determines the character of the organization.
- reminded me of James 1, where it talks about teachers being held to a higher standard,
-it is very true that in order for an organization to do well, the leader must be living out what they are standing for
3. Remember we teach what we know and reproduce what we are. We need integrity.
- I think sometimes integrity gets forgotten or doesn't seem important
-reading this chapter made me realize that integrity is a huge foundation of effective leadership, if your followers don't trust you, you have nothing.
24 Hour Actions:
1. Am I true to myself?
2. Am I true to my leader?
3. Am I true to my followers?
7 Day Actions:
1. Watch the people in my life who I think have integrity and observe what makes them possess this quality.
2. Focus on "showing" people what I want them to do, not just "telling" them.
3. Think about what I want the character of Mirror Mirror to be. How can I have that same character?
People to Tell:
1. Pastor Matt - he has been telling me for years how important integrity is in leadership, and now after reading this chapter I think I finally understand why
I love how you are saying that leaders are held to a higher standard. I think it's important for all of us to think about this - if we choose to lead we are choosing to have influence. This is huge! Although it can be difficult sometimes - they say that a leader gives credit away when things go well and takes the complete responsibility when things go wrong. Leaders are held to a high standard of character because so many people are influenced through their decisions and actions. I once heard it like this: "A leader is no more important than anyone else, but they way that a leader chooses to act and live is more important because more people are effected by those decisions."
DeleteThanks for sharing your thoughts Joce!
Yes, yes, yes! As leaders for Mirror Mirror, we need to recognize we are being held to a higher standard. I think it's great that we all have each other to hold one another accountable to this higher standard.
DeleteKaitlyn, that's a great way to explain leadership and the importance of integrity.
Delete